Louisville Zen Center offers beginning and continuing meditation instruction, group practice sessions, work practice opportunities, meditation retreats, and other activities and events to support our members and the wider community both live and virtually.
Events are open to adults 18 years of age and over (and teenagers if accompanied by a parent or older friend). Newcomers, beginners, and experienced meditators are invited to attend.
There is no fee for participating. Louisville Zen Center operates as much as possible on dana (or giving). We suggest non-members give $5 when attending but any contribution, large or small, will be much appreciated. No one is EVER turned away for lack of payment. To make an ongoing commitment while supporting the mission of the Center, please consider membership.
Some of our activities may be attended virtually. Here's how:
- Join our Zoom meetings here or enter Meeting ID: 820 029 536 and Passcode: Louisville
- Our virtual zendo can be accessed via computer, tablet, or smart phone. The first time you join a Zoom meeting on a computer, Zoom will automatically install the needed software. For tablet or smart phone users, download "Zoom Cloud Meetings". It's free!
- Test and adjust your microphone and speakers before zazen begins. Microphones will be muted for the sitting, but turn up the volume on your speakers to clearly hear the bells and announcements.
- For sittings, arrange your seat in a quiet place preferably facing the wall so you're sitting side-on to your camera
- Consider where to do walking meditation. If there’s little space then pace back and forth in a line or walk slowly around your seat; you may also simply stand or stretch off-camera.
- Position your camera so we can see you sitting and walking with us.
- Setting up an altar with an inspiring figure or picture is nice, but not required. Light incense, if desired.
Other activities may be attended in-person. Here are our COVID protocols:
- If you are not feeling well or have symptoms, we ask that you sit with us virtually.
- You must be fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination upon your first visit. Fully-vaccinated means at least 2 weeks have passed since your second shot of Pfizer or Moderna or your only shot of Johnson & Johnson.
- All must properly wear a mask. You may opt to remove the mask when silently sitting or actively eating/drinking.